Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Another option

So there's this crappy bar in La Ceiba, near the parque central. I'm not gonna name names, but if you've investigated the expat scene there you probably know of it.

It's small.

It's smoky.

It's god-aweful tacky.

It's usually DEAD aside from two-three gringos, in varying states of drunkenness, depending on the time of day.

Well my friends, it's FOR SALE!

(If I had a moustache, I would be twirling it pensively right now....)

I actually KNEW that this place was for sale, and asked my realtor about it. She made some dismissive comment like "oh yeah, that place is positively depressing. It is a decent location though."

And that was it.

Um, helloooooooooooooooo?

So today I called the owner. Yep, just picked up the phone and dialed the crappy bar. And guess what? The guy was there! And we chatted! And he's............ an IDIOT! (Or so it seems anyway...)

*prays that no one reading this blog turns out to be his best buddy - eeks*

Anywhoo... so he tells me all about his life and how he owes money to a loan shark (in his adorable "new yawkah" accent) and that he needs to sell cuz he's gotta to pay back his steep debts, apparently acquired through a failed business endeavor involving CREDIT CARDS.

Ummmm... yeah. For real. (I hope the loan shark doesn't hunt him down and kill him.)

So I'm tentatively interested. As I said, it's a great location, partially because it's in the center of town, and partially because it's on the same block as the "Centro Municipal de Tourismo," which is a total joke, but tourists still ocassionally wander over there in hopes of finding a map, or perhaps the not-always-ubiquitous "Honduras Tips" booklet. (The last time I was there, it took three staff people 15 minutes to find that booklet... um, huh? And none of them had even HEARD of Honduras This Week, the English-language paper.)

But I digress.

Back to the bar:

It's a lease deal, which makes me a tiny bit nervous. What do I know about the perils of leasing in Honduras?

Okay, you're right. What do I know about the perils of buying either????

Hahahahahaha!!!

Yes, my friends, we are swimming into unchartered waters here...

But it's kind of exciting.

4 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger La Gringa said...

Well Bound for Ceiba, that is my best friend you are talking about....Just kidding! I don't know the bar, but you said it is for sale, that he needs the money, but that he wants to lease it? Something doesn't jive here, don't you think?

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

Well it's not the owner that wants to lease it - it's that he leases the current space from Banco Occidente. So we would be buying his supplies, rights to his lease, and all his equipment and inventory...

We'll see. I'm not quite sure about this, but I figure it merits a conversation or two with the guy.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger thephoenixnyc said...

Is there an agent down there who can help you with the process?

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

Ahh my dear Phoenix, you didn't read the previous post... I theoretically have an agent looking, but so far she's shown me a $600k beachfront property and a $90k 2br house.

Not quite what I'm looking for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home