Sunday, September 10, 2006

AND THE VEHICLE QUESTION...

How and when to bring a car to Honduras???

After discussing the residency problem with many different individuals, I have come to the conclusion that it will (probably) be best to work through the process while we are IN the country.
But now the problem is - how do we bring a vehicle and some of our more necessary items (computers, my ESPRESSO MACHINE and soforth) when we have yet to acquire the residency dispensation?

According to this article by Wendy Griffin, it is possible (though arduous) to drive your vehicle to Honduras and have it there for some temporary period without "nationalizing" it and paying a bunch. The article, however, was written in 1998... so goodness knows what has changed since then.

Hmmmm....

3 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger La Gringa said...

El Jefe's brother-in-law drives down about once a year from Dallas. I wouldn't want to do it. He also brings a lot of stuff and has never had to pay duties but I don't know what is the official story. Sorry I can't be more help.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

Well I would not want to do it regularly, that's for sure! Once could be interesting though, especially if it saved us some shipping dough.

I know that there are procedures for driving *through* countries, so I imagine we could get our vehicle in on some sort of temp permit, and I guess that's okay if we're starting out on tourist visas anyway... all the more simple to drive to Antigua and come back with renewals, I suppose.

Sigh. I foresee a bit of running around!

(Still probably not as much as we do in the states though, so I'll stop my advance complaining right now.)

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

Yeesh, so much contradictory advice... it's maddening!

A good, old friend and I were chatting recently, and he was trying to tell me that I should bring both of my cars to HN b/c per him, foreign cars (euro) are "in demand in places like that."

(I have no idea where he got that, but okay...)

Then I talk to my cousin, and he's like: "DO NOTTTTTTTTTT drive your car(s) to Honduras!!! It will be a pain! Just buy something there."

I'm inclined to listen to my cousin, who grew up in Ceiba... but nevertheless, this phase in my life is soooooo nervewracking as I have conflicting advice coming from me at all sides....

I guess at the end of the day I have to synthesize it all and make decisions, for better or worse. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home