Sunday, September 03, 2006

EEEEEKS... DRUGS & GOSSIP!

So I'm getting lots of gossip.

Don't get me wrong - this is GOOD, I think. I mean, knowledge is power, right? I am trying to be a sponge... soaking up every detail, every anecdote, every story, every email. It all has value. I emerge from every conversation with a greater, more multi-dimensional perspective on this cliff from which I am about to jump....

...right?

So:

The conversation du jour is about drugs. Or, put more specifically, the illegal drug trade on the north coast of my beloved Honduras.

*inhales deeply to quell the anxiety*

*exhales*

Okay, I'm ready:

So I KNOW that a vigorous drug trade exists in La Ceiba, and of course on the Bay Islands as well. Why, it was just today that I read about some narcotraficantes apparently landing on Utila's strip last May... (As if Utila's police ---[they have police?]--- can deal with a Cessna full of armed narcos.... but anyway, as usual, I digress.)

So I'm chatting tonight with a Ceiba resident, and she's telling me about how the Zona Viva is not only overrun with drugs (yeah I noticed that) but also that the reason real estate is so pricy along that shitty, weedy, buggy, hooker-infested coast (sorry all) is that the NARCOTRAFICANTES are laundering their flippin' dough through real estate transactions along the strip.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh SHIT.

Can I start whining now? Please?

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted to have my business in the Zona Viva!!!

So now it's not only an issue of not being able to afford it, (prices starting above $100k and that's a vacant lot, if you're lucky) but evidently even if I GET a place over there, I'm gonna have to worry about Pablo Escobar's Honduran protege messing with me?

Ayyyyyyyyyyyy... crap.

****Disclaimer****

I know that it's probably not this bad, and others operate there businesses there without getting killed or (hopefully??) extorted... but bear with me here, cuz it's a day-to-day roller-coaster ride as I soak up all the info and become momentarily dramatic.

****End Disclaimer****

So back to the story - in addition to hearing about how the Zona Viva sucks and is scary and all of that, I also got some good gossip about who hates who, and whose restaurant is shitty and soforth.

In some ways, I must say that I love this. I LOVE getting the inside scoop. On the other hand, it's a bit nerve-wracking, because I'm not even THERE YET, and I see deep fissures in this small, expat community. So I cannot help but ask myself - where will I fall in all of this? Am I hearing all sides of the story? (surely not)

Will I get sucked in? (Please God, Noooo!)

I think I need to pop some good old Act II popcorn and watch Letterman or the dependable American hookers outside my building... or something... I gotta relax!

2 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger jungle said...

at least your information seems to be accurate.

hang in there!

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Liar_Liar said...

or consistently inaccurate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home