Thursday, September 28, 2006

More Trash Talk!

Okay, for those of you who don't know me personally or well, I have a confession to make:

I am obsessed with trash.

I hate it, and yet I love it.

I hate that we (Americans, Hondurans, and other assorted humans around the world) produce so much of it, but I am fascinated by things like recycling, composting, dumpster-diving, and trash-art.

So, as you may have guessed from my previous post on Basura Bags, (see the links category on the left) I am always delighted to find creative methods for dealing with the incredible litter problem in Honduras.

I saw another cool thing on Utila this past summer, and have been googling my brains out in an effort to locate more info. It was a beach bar (or something) being constructed out of pop bottles.

Well today I found and actual-factual reference to the guy who started doing it!

*happy sigh*

If I ever build a structure in Honduras, I pledge to you all right here and now, my fine readers, that pop bottles will represent at least SOME architectural component. It will go smashingly with my chip-bag woven throw rugs, to be sure.

By the way, if you're interested, here is the company website, which is in Spanish.

6 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger La Gringa said...

I have gotten way behind on your blog. I just came to catch up and to tell you that I've done something terrible:

http://lagringasblogicito.blogspot.com/2006/09/la-gringa-meets-bound-for-ceiba.html

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Liar_Liar said...

'wallof diet vanilla coke' has to make it in the plans though.

you can call it LL's heaven on earth!!!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

Oh my goodness LG, I clicked on your blog and got confused for a minute... what with the pic and the same background as I used to have, I though for a moment that I had navigated back to a previous post in my own blog!!!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Billie said...

Some people here in San Miguel de Allende, MX are saving and using the plastic bags that you get in grocery stores to stuff mattresses for the poor.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

That sounds interesting Billie, is it a full-scale operation with a website, or are people just doing it on their own? I'd be curious to know how they fashion the mattress covers as well.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Liar_Liar said...

is it a re-stuff old matresses project?

Also are they spring loaded? the bags shredded for uniformity? very interesting idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home