Friday, September 29, 2006

Sorry folks, I am on a tangent!

More about trash. I cannot help it. I am fixated.

I've spent the better part of today thinking about the trash situation in La Ceiba and surrounds. I KNOW there is more that can be done.

So, I took a mental inventory of the crap I see on the streets there. Clearly snack bags and candy wrappers are big, and then there are the pop bottles. (Pardon me - that's sooooooda bottles for you non-midwesterners.)

Efforts are already underway to recycle these materials, as you have seen from my previous posts. Now, don't get me wrong, there's still more to be done there. I don't know how many coin-purses, beachbags and camping igloos need to be created per month in order to use up all of that shit in the street, but I'm sure it's a LOT... a lot more than are currently being hurled into the gutters.

(There is also the mindset factor, to be sure.)

But anyway.... the other thing I notice everywhere in the street???

FRUIT WASTE.

It's unbelievable. Mango rinds, banana peels, and the husks of those strange-looking red fruits with the spiny shells... what the heck are the called?

(La Gringa? Help me out here) It looks like this:
















Anyway, here's my idea:

There's tons of farming happening on the north coast. Obviously the biggest is none other than Dole (aka Standard Fruit) growing acres upon zillions of acres of pineapple, just to the west of the city. Aside from them, there are myriad small farmers, some of whom are operating at subsistence levels.

What about providing some sort of compost service? Maybe kids or others could be paid to collect organic waste from the streets and deliver it to some location for composting?

I dunno. I'm sure there's no money in it, and it's nasty work on top of that. Nevertheless, it's something to think about... and the city would smell so much better without rotting fruit everywhere.

6 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger Liar_Liar said...

Its an interestin idea.

How big of a place would be needed to compost it though??

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

No idea, LL. I also don't know if anybody would be willing to pay for the compost or pre-composted material. Just a random notion requiring more cogitation.

Oh, and for those of you who may be wondering how I got a pic of the fruit that I don't know the name of, I DO know it's called Rambutan in Asia but I think it has a different name in Honduras. It is apparently related to the Lychee.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger DON GODO said...

Since garbage pick up is very sporadic, and usually only serves the better neighborhoods, there is a program in Tegucigalpa where companies or individuals can sponser a dumpster. It cost $1000-$2000, I'm not sure, for the dumpster, and you can have your name on it (maybe... sponsored by Restaurant the Southern Leap!). They are placed in convenient spots, usually near poorer neighborhoods, and the city sends garbage trucks over to empty them every few days...

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger La Gringa said...

That is rambutan, sometimes called lychee here, but lychee is a different and most say better fruit. CURLA has both, I believe. Rambutan fruit can be red or yellow. Here's an excellent online book about tropical fruit:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/index.html

We've talked about the composting thing, especially since it is so hard to get any kind of decent soil or potting soil, but I don't know that anyone would be willing to pay for it.

We definitely need a 'clean up La Ceiba' campaign. The schools do periodically send the students out on a Saturday to clean up some area. That lasts for, oh, about a day.

I still say if there were more trash cans in el centro that would be a big help. And like Don G said, better trash pick up service in the colonias.

I actually have a trash article drafted and I was waiting to get some pictures to go with it.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger mrfrijoles said...

i lived in ceiba 6 months last yr an i ate the little red things dont no what they are called but the were in the back of this truck right in front of the mega plaza (mall)

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Saratica said...

I had the same question: here in Costa Rica the rambutan are called mamon chino (mamon means "still nursing, unweaned", chino means "kinky, curly") I wrote about them here: http://www.abroadincostarica.com/2006/08/el_rambutan.html. They are great, come in red and yellow. When they ripen they turn black, but are sweeter then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home