Monday, October 16, 2006

The Amended PLAN

In the early stages of this grand dream of mine, I had very ambitious timelines. I was going to sell my rental property in two seconds, dump three decades-worth of belongings in a monster-sized yard sale, and be gone like yesterday. During this brief whirlwind of an exodus, I planned also (via nothing more than email and phone conversations) to find a building in La Ceiba, get my residency going, and jump-start a website for the new, fabulous bistro (and traveler emporium) that I would shortly open.

Well, let us just say that I have slowed things down a bit.

Mind you, I had a pretty good start to the plan! But I have learned a lot, and the most important part of what I have learned is that I have SO MUCH MORRRRRRRRRRRRE TO LEARN. Furthermore, I have determined that my mental health is a delicate pearl to be guarded jealously, rather than squandered in a flurry of uneccessary and anxiety-producing haste.

So, with that in mind, I have established the following revised plan:

I will arrive in La Ceiba on October 26th.

I will pick a hotel, and probably go to bed immediately.

I will wake up the next day and go drink coffee at Giarre's, and perhaps read a newspaper, while sunning my clammy Minnesotan shoulders at a sidewalk table.

I will walk around.

I will chat with my aunt, and her friends, and La Gringa.

I will visit Roatan, Utila, and Guanaja, and have a crimminally good time doing "market research."

I will make more friends.

I will meet more sketchy characters. (It's all part of the La Ceiba experience.)

I will visit every damn hole-in-the-wall place there is, and meet everyone I possibly can.

When all of that is done... 'round about late December, I will return to Minnesota to celebrate the holidays with my family, and perhaps take a side-trip to Greece.

(After all of that work in La Ceiba, I will need a vacation, you know!)

And THEN, I MIGHT make a short-term (real estate) investment in Minneapolis that will delay my return to La Ceiba for a bit.

But I will return.

And when I do, I will be all the more prepared.

9 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

Can I go on that side trip to Greece with you???

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

The more the merrier, Katrina!

I'm thinking of heading straight for Crete. The southern coast should still be warm as the surf laps frothily in from North Africa...

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger La Gringa said...

Wow! This sounds like a major change of plans, but a good one. It's not good if you are getting stressed out over this.

Does this mean your aren't bringing the cats? Do you still need for me to get any info for you?

I was thinking that just since you've changed your plans -- probably the perfect property will come on the market while you are here.

This friggin' country needs people like you and instead it drives them away.

I'll meet you for that cup of coffee at Girarre's. ;-)

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Kate said...

I just found your blog and have read only this entry. Sounds interesting! I shall soon return to read the rest because I want to learn more about your Odyssey. I, too, have gypsy feet but my plans are less ambitious than yours. (I live in "the other city."

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger rudygiron said...

Things are never simple. I know. Good luck on your new timetable and revised plans.

Can I go on that side trip to Greece with you? ;-) j/k

I bet many of us would like a side trip to Greece.

I go to Athens in a daily basis, but I like to visit the other island too.

http://athensdailyphoto.blogspot.com/

http://athensdailyphotobyselana.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger eastcoastlife said...

Hi! Your blog is an interesting read for me because I'm also thinking of moving to another country. I'll be following your posts from today. he he....
Best wishes.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Itsjustme said...

Hi-

I've just come across your blog and enjoyed reading through the posts.

We purchased some property on Utila last year and are in the process of turning it into a little slice of paradise. Happy to have you link to our blog if you like and if you don't mind will link to yours. Our blog can be found at: http://buildingourplaceinthesun.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger La Gringa said...

Hey, girl! How about another post?

We are all on pins and needles.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Saratica said...

Little Miss Real Estate Killjoy here: do not make a real estate investment in the states. Unless you are VERY VERY lucky, you will lose your money. I would wait to make a real estate investment in Honduras unless you come across a hell of a deal or you have to for residency. As the market in the states heads south, so will the real estate in Honduras. And Costa Rica - the prices here are already falling because there is so much overbuilding and the gringos who can't sell their real estate in the states can't afford to buy here. It's a global market, very connected. Bide your time... trip to Greece sounds heavenly! Pura vida,
Saratica (recovering Realtor from Key West, now living in Costa Rica)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home