Monday, October 02, 2006

The Clearance Letter


According to the Honduran Embassy, one of the required documents for obtaining residency is a so-called "clearance letter" from your local law enforcement agency, which must be subsequently authenticated by Embassy or Consulate staff. (I believe this is one of the "stamps" that expats often refer to, though I could be wrong.)

Last week I contacted the Minneapolis Police Department via my local "311" non-emergency switchboard to enquire. The woman on the phone knew just what I was talking about, and directed to Police History in room 310 of City Hall, and even told me what the cost would be ($1.25) and the hours of the office.

I went, and within five minutes I had a lovely, notorized document proclaiming my innocence and virtue. (Well okay, just innocence.)

On the other hand, LL contact his respective law enforcement authority in Houston and was ostensibly met by uncertainty as to what he was requesting. He was told that he needed to be fingerprinted, and then had to go through Texas DOJ records in Austin, and the FBI. (At what cost, I have not yet determined.)

Well a simple search on google led me to the Houston Police website which clearly states that they do clearance letters.

So here's my question:

Do we get more emigration in Minnesota than they do in Texas???

Obviously we are both borders states... but perhaps more Americans move up north to Canada than down south to the other myriad destinations in this fine hemisphere.

Who knows?

At any rate, I am quite sure that the erroneous information given to LL was taken from the procedures used for IMmigrants, rather than Emigrants.

8 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Liar_Liar said...

But i sooooooo wanted another FBI check.


And you forgot i had to be fingerprinted electronically (cost, 15 dollars plus 9.95 to have them emailed to Austin).

We do love our law down here lil' lady

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger ashley rebekah said...

oh, you're really going to have to help me.

i have a very vague and distant memory of an email titled 'what the crap is a blog', but i cannot quite remember the details.

help me...

and you are ___________

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

Okayyyy...

It's Connie.

:-)

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger La Gringa said...

I hope it wasn't because LL looked like a shady character who needed a more thorough background check. ;-)

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

Well OF COURSE there's THAT, LG... ! Hahahaha!

That's why I need to be the PR arm of our biz.

(That is to say, except when it involves young women. They seem prefer LL. He has abs. Sadly I do not...)

:-(

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Leanne said...

Ha! Our first experience getting these letters was years ago in Ft. Worth (actually Bedford- north of town). We had lived there exactly 15 months and the police department of our little suburban community assured the Australian Government that we had no criminal record or outstanding warrants.

I still have copies of those letters in my "stupid bureaucratic things" file. ;-)

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Jill said...

Hmmmm I must have some weird kind of residency that doesn't require any paperwork. Lucky for me, they let me escape my sordid past and start fresh here.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger DON GODO said...

We always knew you were innocent, but your readers want to know more about your lack of virtue...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home