Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Stuff... and more Stuff... and still more STUFF


I have two weeks left in Minneapolis and am appalled at how much stuff remains to be packed, given away, or otherwise dealt with.

What I am I gonna do with all of this STUFF?

It's so hard to decide what should go and what should stay... according to the listservs I read about moving to Honduras, the question of what to bring and what to leave is of immediate concern to almost everyone.

I really don't care to import my Minneapolis life to Honduras in the form of boxes upon boxes of STUFF. I want to make a new life, with, errrr... new stuff, I guess. (Hopefully not too much it, either.)

But the question remains: what kind of stuff can you get in Honduras? And is it as good or better or worse than foreign stuff?

Take the example of an espresso machine. I have my eye on a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine. It's available online for about $500. So I ask myself, should I buy this thing here and bring it down? Buy it here and ship it down? Move down and then order it to be shipped there, if possible? Or could I find one in a store there? (Doubtful on the last bit, since it's barely available in stores in the US)

Kitchen equipment is of high concern to me, as you might have guessed. I have a ton of KitchenAid stuff and cannot figure out if I should bring that either. Can I replace it in Honduras with something of equal quality? Will I get in trouble if airline security finds kitchen knives tucked in among jeans and underwear in my suitcase? (Crap, maybe I should toss the jeans and underwear in favor of more room for a blender...)

And do you know how heavy my food processor is????

Ugh. I can't decide what to do!!!

8 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger DON GODO said...

will you be shipping a container down or just what you can bring in your suitcases?

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Liar_Liar said...

I think we will find what we need there but the questions are
expense
value
reliability
do they come in orange.......

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

We were planning to go with just suitcases.

I'm not sure how that's going to work out, but we'll see.

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Nairobi Paul said...

Biggest advice I could give is get rid of a lot of stuff - especially if you are planning to pay to store it. We stored some clothes we didn't take with us one time & 3 years later ended up giving it all to the Goodwill. We also even stored some medicine! It had all expired.

Be ruthless!

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Billie said...

When we bought our house in Mexico, we thought it would be a second house for several months of the year and we would rent it out. I bought inexpensive appliances in Mexico. I've cooked a lot of dinner parties since then and somehow we manage just fine.

Since I don't have room to store it, I try not to think about my Kitchen Aid mixer. Now that we are here full time and have sold all the stuff back in the States, every once in a while I'll think of something like my candy thermometer and wish I had brought it down.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger rudygiron said...

It all depends, if you buy, then bring it to La Ceiba, maybe you will have to pay taxes on it. Electro—appliances—etc—will be about 20-30% more expensive in CA, but you get tax credit on your purchases.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Bound for Ceiba said...

Well I'm hoping I can get what I currently have (food processor, knives, measuring equip, etc) in my luggage and then buy or order more when I'm there. I broke down and got rid of my big mixer and blender because I knew that it was too much hassle to schlepp them.

I guess if I cannot find the equipment I need even in San Pedro Sula (but I'm hopeful that I can) I will see if I can order from a website and have the things shipped... particularly if we decide to go with some better, commercial grade equipment for the shop.

(Note, in case anyone was wondering, I'm not a total kitchen-princess, I swear! I was figuring that this stuff would initially do double-duty in the shop we plan to open, at least for a while. We may kill the espresso machine fast if coffee demand is high though...)

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger La Gringa said...

Gosh, I hate to be sooooo negative about everything, but I looked for a decent non-stick saute pan (mine was ruined by a maid), in Ceiba and SPS, for two years and finally ordered one from the states. The pans I found here were about as heavy as those throw-away aluminum turkey pans.

Ditto on a chef's knife (the tip of mine was broken off by a maid)-- there were no chef's knives here. You just cannot find quality kitchen stuff anywhere, unless it is in Teguc, and I don't know about that.

A maid broke my candy thermometer (are you seeing a trend here?) and ... same old story: had to get it from the states.

My suggestion is to box the stuff up if you have someone you can leave it with, to be sent to you when you get your residency and dispensa so you won't have to pay the taxes.

A few years ago, I shipped a bunch of things from New Orleans and that shipper is now located in Houston from what I've heard. He handled everything with the aduana and his counterpart here delivered the stuff to my door -- nothing missing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home