Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Achiote


I first learned about Achiote as a cooking additive in Mexico. Its basically devoid of flavor, but people like to use it to add red color to their food. My packet, (purchased about seven years ago in Queretaro) shows a picture of a roasting chicken on the front.

Blood-red drumstick, anyone?

I really like how this seed pod looks though. It reminds me of candy... like... 'Nerds' or 'Pop Rocks' or something. I do believe I shall have to grow it sometime...

The photo was taken at the Welchez Coffee Plantation, just outside of Copan Ruinas in Western Honduras. I highly recommend visiting this plantation if you're ever in the neighborhood!

2 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger Trey Branham said...

Glad to see you back. We are heading to Utila tomorrow and are looking forward to a little relaxation. We are enjoying following your journey. Keep it up!

http://www.buildingourplaceinthesun.blogspot.com/

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Fritz said...

sounds better than red dye #three
i wonder why the maraschino cherry people don't use this stuff?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home