Sunday, February 04, 2007

Do you like Hondurans?

Why do Honduran people ask me this? As if Honduran people were all the same such that I could actually answer? Or, as if I could say anything other than "of course!" considering the fact that it's a Honduran ASKING the question?

I don't get it.

I mean, I will admit that I'm prone to generalizations for their rhetorical value, but clearly I know that humans are just humans, widely varied across the globe, regardless of their culture, race, gender, place of birth, etc.

And yet I get these questions.

While shopping in ACA Joe's at the mall in La Ceiba, I got to chatting with a clerk. She asked me if I liked Ceibenos. I almost said no... and I think she caught my hesitation before I said "!claro!" because she gave me a knowing grin.

Perhaps she was from El Porvenir or something.

5 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger thephoenixnyc said...

I get it. People are tribal animals. They have identity politics hard -wried into their brain and sometime sare insecure. Add it all up and they want to know, as Ed Koch used to say: "How'm I doin?"

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

If I get Are you married? and Well when are you getting married? again I might physically hit whoever asks me. But I dont think I´ve gotten asked if I like Hondurans. A guy the other day asked if I liked Latinos, as in guys, but well .. that was different.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger It's me LD said...

Is it just a plural way of them asking: Do you like ME?

Don't suppose "No, I hate you all" would go over so well.

You'll have to think up some fun answers.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger La Gringa said...

Oh, you are back!

I'm trying to remember if I've been asked that question. Mostly I've been asked if I like Honduras or La Ceiba. Like you said, "whatcha gonna say?"

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Mister Underhill said...

Yes, but do you "like" like hondurans? That's the real question.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home